USB 2.0 external hard drive only 1.000MB/s transfers

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Tue Sep 20 15:51:24 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 08:15:15AM +1000, Chris Richards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was lucky enough to have a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card (NEC chipset) in another PC (WinXP) so I swapped them over thinking I would be on easy street now - no difference.
>
> It's like the companion controllers "usb0" and "usb1" don't get recognised as being USB 2.0 capable.

The companion controllers are not high-sped capable, the EHCI are.
The EHCI gets noticed about an attached device and if it finds it not
to be a high-speed one it switches over the connector to it companion
controller doing the full/low-speed job.
It is more likely your device is too stupid to send a propper high speed
signature, so it ends with the full-speed controller.
You can build a kernel with USB_DEBUG and set sysctl hw.usb.uhub.debug=10
befor connecting the device, maybe we can see more.
>From the symptoms the device looks very much a non high-speed one, no
clue how you made it faster under Windows.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de