kernel panic with pure usb2umass pluged on pure usb1only motherboard port

Mathieu PREVOT mathieu-prevot at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 12 02:26:29 PDT 2005

> Do you see something like this at the end of "sysctl -a"
>
> dev.umass.0.%desc: Genesys USB2.0 card Reader, rev 2.00/91.38, addr 122
> dev.umass.0.%driver: umass
> dev.umass.0.%location: port=5 interface=0
> dev.umass.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x05e3 product=0x0710 devclass=0x00
> devsubclass=0x0
> 0 sernum="00571" intclass=0x08 intsubclass=0x06
> dev.umass.0.%parent: uhub0
I have this with usb1&2umass (txt_sysctl_with_umass2) but nothing with
pure usb2umass

> The panic might have something to do with options you have removed
> from the
> kernel config file.
>
> --HPS
Maybe (txt_KERNCONF). The usb does not work with the GENERIC kernel.
Concerning /etc/rc.conf I have a usb mouse which does not work with
moused, so I have in /etc/rc.conf usbd enabled but not moused.

In the archive, there is txt_KERNCONF, txt_panic (the kernel messages
between the boot and the panic with umass2, it is *only a part* of
/var/log/messages*) and txt_sysctl_with_umass2.
Note that the kernel build fail with "options udbp" (USB double bulk
pipe device), without your usb code.

Under 6.0beta4 I have the same panic ie with pure usb2 umass with the
same KERNCONF file. And the generic kernel also do not allow umass to
work.

Maybe I can configure a dump device for the kernel panic ? How ?

regards,
MP