USB modems (analog)

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Sat Sep 10 02:36:51 PDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 04:49:27PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Anyone know of where I can find some small analog USB modems that
> work with FreeBSD ?  Most on the market are of the Connexant/Winmodem
> variety which of course do not work.  Someone mentioned and "ELSA
> MicroLink 56k USB modem". Does anyone know where I could source one
> of these in North America ?  Ideally something that draws its power
> from the USB port and does not require an extra power blob.

A used on seems to be the best choice these days.
Be carefull about ELSA/devolo modems, they had been using a fine
working Lucent chipset, but now are using an STM softmodem one.
They didn't change the product name.
USR/3Com is also bad these day, they have a new softmodem modell now.
Maybe Multitech is a choice - never tried them.
If you find one please let me know, I personally gave it up.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de