LibUSB fails to enumerate all devices

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Mon Oct 24 12:52:01 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl at alzatex.com>
To: <freebsd-usb at freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 5:51 AM
Subject: LibUSB fails to enumerate all devices

I am developing a USB device which has two interfaces, one interface
uses a standard HID protocol, the other is completely custom at the
moment.  FreeBSD attaches appropriately to the HID interface and works
correctly.  For the custom interface, I was going to write a device
driver in userspace using libusb, but I can't seem to find it.  I wrote
a program to enumerate all devices on all busses, but the only device I
see is the one device I don't have any driver loaded for.  Does FreeBSD
not allow a userspace to access an interface of a usb device when any of
it's interfaces are grabbed by a kernel driver even though the interface
I want is not grabbed?
--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA  C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2

-----------------

I am not a kernel or usb developer at all. But what you describe  sounds
like it might be related to a problem I have.
I have a wireless usb keyboard with 3 devices that share the single usb
receiver. The keyboard, the touchpad mouse built in to it, and a seperate
wireless mouse.
On linux ever since 2.6.<low number>, it all works out of the box. suse 9.3,
10.0, and knoppix 4.0 all work for example. Suse 9.2 almost worked, the
touchpad worked but not the button on the touch pad.

On freebsd, _only_ the keyboard works.

Once someone here asked me to try catting /dev/uhid0  (the only device to
appear in dmesg besides the keyboard) while moving the mouse/touchpad and
pressing mouse/touchpad buttons. The result was no output at all.

Someone else said that is was because multiple devices needed to use the
same usb receiver and there was an enhancement in 6.0 (I was using 5.4) that
allowed for it.
I have 6.0 now and it made no difference.

I hope you are hitting the same thing I'm hitting, and that it becomes a
more common problem, and that someone then finally firgures it out so I can
use my $150 keyboard without having to host a copy of knoppix on on my
freebsd box just so my diskless thin client can pxe boot it.

What I don't get is, why don't all devices that need to share a single
physical port just make themselves look like hubs? I have a different usb
keyboard that has two usb ports on it (ie a built in 2 port usb hub) and I
can plug a usb mouse into that keyboard, and the keyboard into the pc, and
it all works fine even back on 5.4 .

Brian K. White  --  brian at aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro  BBx    Linux  SCO  FreeBSD    #callahans  Satriani  Filk!