[Fwd: USB not working on 6.0-BETA2 on ICH7 [long]]

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Thu Oct 13 15:37:21 PDT 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 21:50, Thomas Quinot wrote:
> I am encountering the same issues described by Joe in August with a
> Dell Precision 380 (panic at boot if EHCI is enabled and USB devices
> are connected), with 6.0-BETA5 source tree.
>
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 12:20:51PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > It might be that the alignment for some of the EHCI hardware structures
> > is wrong. I haven't checked on FreeBSD-current, if this has been fixed,
> > but I guess that the "controller halted" is due to the "EHCI scheduler"
> > getting off the track.I have posted a PR on this and what needs to be
> > changed:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=usb/79722
>
> I tried applying the suggested alignement changes to ehcireg.h in
> 6.0-BETA5, and it did not change the observed problem at all.
>
> Thomas.

Ok, maybe the problem is deeper than that. Could you try:

Download the three files below into a new directory and type
"make install"  (to uninstall type "make deinstall")
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/Makefile
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.diff.bz2
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.tar.bz2

Type "make help" to get more help.

Then make sure you have the following in the kernel config file.

options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support.
options         DDB                     # Support DDB.
options         GDB                     # Support remote GDB.

When it panics, you type "trace" or "backtrace" at the DB prompt. Then just
write down the list of functions that appears, hopefully.

PS: I have included a temporary fix to make "if_ural" work. The "if_ural"
driver cannot call "usb_rem_task()" from a callback, because this function
can possibly sleep, due to the way I have implemented it, by using the kernel
taskqueue system.