usb/89087: usb external harddrive hangs with BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT messages

Jonathan jonathan at kc8onw.net
Tue Nov 15 13:10:18 PST 2005

>Number:         89087
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       usb external harddrive hangs with BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT messages
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have a generic USB enclosure that works fine under windows (which I'm
sure your tired of hearing) and I'm pretty sure it was working ok with
FreeBSD before I updated to 6.0 release.  So far everytime I do fsck.ext2
it makes it through the check fine but after about 5 minutes of running
Unison the activity light goes out and anything that tries to read or
write on the drive hangs.  I get the following messages on the console
over and over

umass2: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass2: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
umass2: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT

I have a second USB external that I just purchased from IOGEAR that has
worked flawlessly so far so I'm pretty certain the problem is specific
to the enclosure I'm using.
>How-To-Repeat:
Attach and use the same make and model USB enclosure

(Sorry I know this is kind of a useless reproduction recipe but I don't know any other way to do it so ... )