force power over usb

Daniel Rucci rucci at warganizer.com
Fri May 20 12:00:43 PDT 2005

Bernd Walter wrote:

>On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 04:41:42PM -0400, Daniel Rucci wrote:
>

>>Bernd Walter wrote:

>>>ugen just want very basic USB compliance.
>>>Your device seems to be seriously broken or your port doesn't have
>>>enough power (e.g. port on a bus powered hub) to supply the needs.
>>>What does dmesg tell about your device?
>>>

>>this is the output that occurs when the device is plugged in
>>uhub1: port 2, set config at addr 2 failed
>>uhub1: device problem, disabling port 2
>>ugen0: Motorola Inc. Motorola Phone (V3), rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2
>>

>Interesting - the port is disabled and then you get the ugen message.
>Are you shure that these messages belong together?
>If the device really refuses set_config it is a very fundamental
>USB violation.
>
>I would like to know if the device is still processing requests.
>What does usbdevs -v say?
>usbdevs -v asks the device to descriptor string, so we will know if
>is is running.
>A hang device would hang output of usbdevs at a given for a few seconds
>until timeout.

# usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, Motorola Phone
(V3)(0x4902), Motorola Inc.(0x22b8), rev 0.01
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: full speed, power 90 mA, config 1, product
0x2441(0x2441), Actiontec Electronics(0x1668), rev 5.46
 port 2 powered

output did not hang. Is there anyway to change it so its not self powered?