force power over usb

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Fri May 20 04:22:11 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 04:41:42PM -0400, Daniel Rucci wrote:
> Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> >On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 01:01:04PM -0400, Daniel Rucci wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>  My phone (motorola razor) can be powered over usb. It seems like it
> >>charges for a second, till it ugen0 gets attached, then the power over
> >>usb stops. How can I get the power to keep going?
> >>

> >ugen just want very basic USB compliance.
> >Your device seems to be seriously broken or your port doesn't have
> >enough power (e.g. port on a bus powered hub) to supply the needs.
> >What does dmesg tell about your device?
> >

> this is the output that occurs when the device is plugged in
> uhub1: port 2, set config at addr 2 failed
> uhub1: device problem, disabling port 2
> ugen0: Motorola Inc. Motorola Phone (V3), rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2

Interesting - the port is disabled and then you get the ugen message.
Are you shure that these messages belong together?
If the device really refuses set_config it is a very fundamental
USB violation.

I would like to know if the device is still processing requests.
What does usbdevs -v say?
usbdevs -v asks the device to descriptor string, so we will know if
is is running.
A hang device would hang output of usbdevs at a given for a few seconds
until timeout.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de