usb/80685: panic in usb_cold_explore() at begining

Richard S. Conto rsc at merit.edu
Thu May 5 18:50:10 PDT 2005

>Number:         80685
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       panic in usb_cold_explore() at begining
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD toolbox.family 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Sun Jan 23 12:14:05 EST 2005     root at toolbox.family:/usr/src/sys/compile/TOOLBOX  i386

During boot, I get a panic in "usb_cold_explore".

IP packet filtering initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding enabled, default to accept, logging limited to 100 packets/entry by default
panic: usb_cold_explore: busses to explore when !cold

A "boot -v" doesn't show any more detail to me, and I can't capture the output in any event.

This machine is rather old and slow. I suspect timing issues.
I think "dmesg" explains my machine best:

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: Pentium/P54C (119.75-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x526  Stepping = 6
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
real memory  = 100663296 (98304K bytes)
avail memory = 92835840 (90660K bytes)

I recently "cvsup"'d this system, so the "uname -a" for Environment is
somewhat misleading.  This happens with a version as recently updated as May 3.

I haven't tried removing the USB card.  If I could disable the usb support and probing with /boot/loader.conf, I would.

>How-To-Repeat:
Boot my old and creaky system