recent USB MFCs cause panics

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Thu May 5 00:04:23 PDT 2005

>I rebuilt my machine today and thus incorporated the USB changes that
>have been MFC'd some days ago by julian at . Now I observe duplicated dmesg
>entries for all newly attached USB devices, e.g.
>

>Worse, the machine crashes when I remove USB sticks (tried various
>models, all behave the same), saying
>
>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>umass0: at uhub1 port 2 (addr 4) disconnected
>umass0: detached
>

>Fatal trap 12:: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> page fault while in kernel mode
>fault virtual address   = 0x3c
>fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
>instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc016dbfe
>stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd159af08
>frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd159af08
>code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
>current process         = 3 (usb0)
>interrupt mask          = none
>trap number             = 12
>panic: page fault
>
>: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>
>I did already apply yesterday's change to uhub.c (1.21.2.11).
>
>My previous kernel was built on 29th April and works fine. This already
>includes the ehci, uhci and ohci changes that were done on 26th April.
>So this problem must be related to the USB changes on 30th April.

I just tried this I can not make it fail with my Lexar jumpdrive on a
UHCI port.

can you say if you are using uhci, ehci or ohci?

I however DID find another failure mode..

If I boot with the drive plugged in, I get nested recursive interrupts
(or rather polled interrupt equivalents)
and it crashes.. (I think  it may even be running out of stack.. there
were about 50 functions on
the stack traceback)

Unfortunatly I'm about to go offline for a week If I can't figure it out
I'll revert those patches.