USB Modems

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Thu Mar 31 04:30:22 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:36:16PM +0100, Richard Caley wrote:

> I want to add a USB modem to a FreeBSD 5.* machine.
>
> So, I built a kernel with ucom and umodem in it.
>
> I have tried one I bought a while ago for use with windows, it is
> identified as STMicroelectronics Communicator and gets set up as
> ugen0. I thought I should get a ucom or umodem device?
>
> Is this a dead end? I notice that this device name is in the usbdevs
> file in the source, so maybe someone has done something with it
> somewhere? There is only one product in the little table in umodem.c
> so maybe this is just not a useful driver and I should be looking
> somewhere lese, but I can't spot any clues.

umodem should take every device that claims to be compatible with umodem
AT class protocol specification.
I don't think it makes much sense to build a tty without AT command set.
Unfortunately vendors don't tell anything about the protocols they use.
First chance to find out is by connecting the device and ask it.
A more up to date list of known good devices in the manpage would be
great.
I think the exceptional device is umodem conform but to stupid to tell.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de