USB printing problem: /dev/ulpt0: device busy

Manuel Tobias Schiller mala at hinterbergen.de
Mon Mar 28 09:51:03 PST 2005

Hello everybody,

Eugene Rogoza has alerted me to this issue. I can reproduce the
behaviour he is talking about on my virtual FreeBSD 5.3 system running
under Linux as host OS. Any attempt to access the device file (both
/dev/ulpt0 and /dev/unlpt0) fail with the message "Device busy". The
FreeBSD kernel does recognize the printer when attached to the USB port,
and it correctly associates the ulpt driver with it. This behaviour is
quite obviously not due to faulty hardware emulation in the virtual
machine as Mr. Rogoza has also experienced it.

I'd really like to help to make my driver for Minolta PagePro
1[23][05]0W printers work under FreeBSD, too - even when the printer is
connected to a USB port. Any help, hint or idea as to what might cause
this behaviour would be greatly appreciated.

Manuel Schiller