usb/78984: Creative MUVO umass failure

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Mar 19 04:40:05 PST 2005

The following reply was made to PR usb/78984; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>
To: freebsd-usb at freebsd.org
Cc: Michael Wesemeyer <bofh at m-wesemeyer.de>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: usb/78984: Creative MUVO umass failure
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:38:49 +0100

 On Friday 18 March 2005 14:42, Michael Wesemeyer wrote:
 > >Number:         78984
 > >Category:       usb
 > >Synopsis:       Creative MUVO umass failure
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       non-critical
 > >Environment:
 >
 > FreeBSD radioactivechew.wookiplanet 5.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE
 > #0: Sat Mar 12 15:14:08 CET 2005   =20
 > bofh at radioactivechew.wookiplanet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WOOKI  i386

 > My Creative MUVO can=B4 t be mounted since 5.3 With 5.2.1 there was no
 > Problem
 >
 > umass0: Creative Tech NOMAD MuVo, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2
 > usbd_setup_pipe: failed to start endpoint, IOERROR
 > device_attach: umass0 attach returned 6
 >
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > >
 > >Fix:
 > >
 > >Release-Note:
 > >Audit-Trail:
 > >Unformatted:

 Could you try: In the file /sys/dev/usb/usb_subr.c, in the function=20
 "usbd_setup_pipe" comment out the following lines:

                 if (err && err !=3D USBD_STALLED && err !=3D USBD_TIMEOUT) {
                         printf("usbd_setup_pipe: failed to start "
                             "endpoint, %s\n", usbd_errstr(err));
                         return (err);
                 }

 Or download the three files below into a new directory and type
 "make install"  (to uninstall type "make deinstall")
 http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/Makefile
 http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.diff.bz2
 http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.tar.bz2

 Then recompile your kernel or USB module (/sys/modules/usb) depending on wh=
 at=20
 you are using.

 I have seen a similar problem with my umass device. These devices expect=20
 clearstall in combination with the reset command, and if one tries to=20
 clearstall besides from that, device access will fail ! This suggests that=
 =20
 clearstall shouldn't be run by default, but rather be optional.

 Yours
 =2D-HPS