usb/78984: Creative MUVO umass failure

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Mar 19 04:38:03 PST 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 14:42, Michael Wesemeyer wrote:
> >Number:         78984
> >Category:       usb
> >Synopsis:       Creative MUVO umass failure
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       non-critical
> >Environment:
>
> FreeBSD radioactivechew.wookiplanet 5.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE
> #0: Sat Mar 12 15:14:08 CET 2005
> bofh at radioactivechew.wookiplanet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WOOKI  i386

> My Creative MUVO can´ t be mounted since 5.3 With 5.2.1 there was no
> Problem
>
> umass0: Creative Tech NOMAD MuVo, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2
> usbd_setup_pipe: failed to start endpoint, IOERROR
> device_attach: umass0 attach returned 6
>
> >How-To-Repeat:
> >
> >Fix:
> >
> >Release-Note:
> >Audit-Trail:
> >Unformatted:

Could you try: In the file /sys/dev/usb/usb_subr.c, in the function
"usbd_setup_pipe" comment out the following lines:

                if (err && err != USBD_STALLED && err != USBD_TIMEOUT) {
                        printf("usbd_setup_pipe: failed to start "
                            "endpoint, %s\n", usbd_errstr(err));
                        return (err);
                }

Or download the three files below into a new directory and type
"make install"  (to uninstall type "make deinstall")
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/Makefile
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.diff.bz2
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.tar.bz2

Then recompile your kernel or USB module (/sys/modules/usb) depending on what
you are using.

I have seen a similar problem with my umass device. These devices expect
clearstall in combination with the reset command, and if one tries to
clearstall besides from that, device access will fail ! This suggests that
clearstall shouldn't be run by default, but rather be optional.

Yours