5.4: scbus & da in kernel config, umass as module: but no /dev/da* ?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 21:05:07 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE as of Thu Mar 10.
I have following usb-related in my kernel config:

 device scbus
 device da
 device uhci
 device usb

hoping that this provides enough 'basic' usb support
for my usb-memory-stick. Indeed, I can load the
umass module.

If I'm not wrong, I must do following to access the
usb-memory-stick:
   mount -t msdosfd /dev/da0s1 /mnt

but there's no /dev/da* device.

Someone told me to use 'device cam', but I don't
think I need that, do I?

When I plug the memory-stick in the usb port, I get
in the console:
 umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
 da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
 da0: <EXATEL i-BEAD100 0001> Removable Direct Access
     SCSI-4 device
 da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
 da0: 122MB (249856 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 122C)
 umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
 umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
 umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
  [ last 3 lines repeated every two minutes or so ]

What are these 'STALLED' messages about?
When I then type:
 # usbdevs -v
 Controller /dev/usb0:
 addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1,
         UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000),
         rev 1.00
  port 1 powered
  port 2 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1,
         i-Bead 100 MP3 Player(0x8008),
         Sigmatel(0x066f), rev 0.01

But still no /dev/da* devices!
When I unplug the memory stick, I get in the console:
 umass0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 2) disconnected
 (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
 (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
 Opened disk da0 -> 5
 umass0: detached

Any idea what's wrong here?
Thanks,