network <-> USB2 blocks process?

Wesley Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Sat Jun 11 23:23:07 GMT 2005

I'm using a cardbus usb2 adapter in my laptop to transfer data to an
external drive. It works great transferring local data, and of course the
network itself works great... But combining the two isn't working out.
Copying from an NFS share to the USB drive results in a non-fatal hang:

  4635 morganw     1 -16    0  1416K   764K wdrain   0:01  0.12% cp

The final read() from the NFS mount succeeds but the following write()
blocks (as indicated by top). Eventually (a LONG eventually) whatever is
blocking will correct itself and the transfer proceeds again until
whatever is filling up is full again.

Anyone have any ideas to what might be going on?