usb/84336: [usb] [reboot] instant system reboot when unmounting a powered off/unplugged+replugged USB device

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 30 16:00:33 GMT 2005

The following reply was made to PR usb/84336; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at FreeBSD.org>
To: Oliver Lehmann <oliver at freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: usb/84336: [usb] [reboot] instant system reboot when unmounting a powered off/unplugged+replugged USB device
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:56:47 +0200

 --NzX0AQGjRQPusK/O

 > 1. I mount my digitalcamera (USB) via mount_msdosfs
 > 2. My camera goes offline after some time of inactivity
 > 3. Trying to unmount the camera when it went off causes an instantly syst=
 em reboot.

 This very much sound like the known issue with removing the device
 under a mounted file system which blows up.

 Currently the only known answer for that is "Don't do that".  It's not
 trivial to fix, but of cause it would be very nice for this to not
 blow up.

 There are at least a few other PR's about unmounting a mounted file
 system which can be found by searching GNATS.

 Of cause this could be a different issue.

 --=20
 Simon L. Nielsen

 --NzX0AQGjRQPusK/O

 --NzX0AQGjRQPusK/O--