kern/63621: [usb] USB MemoryStick Reader stalls/crashes system

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen freebsd.nospam at mekanix.dk
Mon Jul 11 05:40:11 GMT 2005

The following reply was made to PR kern/63621; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam at mekanix.dk>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org, marck at rinet.ru
Subject: Re: kern/63621: [usb] USB MemoryStick Reader stalls/crashes system
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:34:39 +0200

 I think I'm seeing something similar on 5-STABLE.

 I've been playing with USB2.0 trying to get a 80 GB diskdrive working with
 FreeBSD with speeds higher than 1MB/s. Adding ehci device to the kernel and
 it almost seems to work.

 I can mount, umount, run fdisk, newfs, copy files etc. But then suddenly the
 device becomes inaccessible, and trying to access the device (running ls or
 something) will make the console/shell freeze and becomes unresponsive.

 I can continue to use the PC but it's not entirely stable. Programs will not
 start, or freezes/crashes at random. The PC will not shutdown until I've
 disconnected the usb-drive.

 Then after some time it gives up on syncing the disks.

 After reboot I've to run fsck on alle drives.

 This stalling/locking have happened while trying to copy many large (3+ MB)
 files. I've also seen it after running newfs_msdos, but after 5 min I could
 access the drive again.

 This is my usb-drive:

 #usbdevs -v

 Controller /dev/usb4:
 addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
 VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
  port 1 addr 2: high speed, power 100 mA, config 1, Mass Storage
 Device(0x3507), Prolific Technology Inc.(0x067b), rev 1.00

 And output from dmesg:

 umass0: Prolific Technology Inc. Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
 da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
 da0: <ST380011 A 3.06> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
 da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
 da0: 76319MB (156301489 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 9729C)
 umass0: at uhub4 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
 (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
 (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
 umass0: detached