usb/82660: EHCI: I/O stuck in state 'physrd'/panic

Stefan Walter sw at gegenunendlich.de
Wed Jul 6 17:36:11 GMT 2005

Hans Petter Selasky, 04.07.05, 19:18h CEST:

> > http://www.gegenunendlich.de/stuff/ehci/umass-messages-complete-transfer.bz2
>
> To me it seems that there is something wrong with your flash disk. Though it
> can be that the "CBW" structure is not initialized correctly, but I am not
> the right person to tell about that. At least your flash disk takes the "CBW"
> command, but times out on the following BULK-in transfer.

I don't think it's the USB stick, as the device works fine with ehci at my
notebook (Intel chipset). Furthermore, I could now reproduce the problem
with an external USB HD enclosure, too.

> I'm not sure if it helps, but the compiler might be messing with the hardware
> structures:
>
> In /sys/dev/usb/umass.c
>
> change all:
>
> typedef xxxx {
>
> } xxxx;
>
> into:
>
> typedef xxxx {
>
> } __packed xxxx;

That didn't change anything, either, unfortunately.

> What options are you compiling the kernel with? Have you got INVARIANTS
> enabled?

Here's the list of options from the kernel configuration:

options 	INET			#InterNETworking
options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols
options 	FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	SOFTUPDATES		#Enable FFS soft updates support
options 	UFS_ACL			#Support for access control lists
options 	UFS_DIRHASH		#Improve performance on big directories
options 	MD_ROOT			#MD is a potential root device
options 	NFSCLIENT		#Network Filesystem Client
options 	NFSSERVER		#Network Filesystem Server
options 	NFS_ROOT		#NFS usable as root device, requires NFSCLIENT
options 	MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options 	CD9660			#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	PROCFS			#Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options 	PSEUDOFS		#Pseudo-filesystem framework
options		LINPROCFS		#linux-like procfs
options 	COMPAT_43		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD4		#Compatible with FreeBSD4
options		COMPAT_LINUX		#Linux ABI emulation
options 	SCSI_DELAY=5000		#Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options 	KTRACE			#ktrace(1) support
options 	SYSVSHM			#SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			#SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			#SYSV-style semaphores
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options		SCHED_4BSD
options		PREEMPTION
options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev
options		GEOM_BDE
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		#Static device numbering
options		VESA
options		MAXCONS=12
options		SC_DFLT_FONT
makeoptions	SC_DFLT_FONT=iso
options		SC_DISABLE_REBOOT
options		SC_PIXEL_MODE
options         IPSEC                   #IP security
options         IPSEC_ESP               #IP security (crypto; define w/ IPSEC)
options		USB_DEBUG	# Debugging USB
options		SMBFS
options		NETSMB                  #SMB/CIFS requester
options		NETSMBCRYPTO            #encrypted password support for SMB
options		LIBMCHAIN               #mbuf management library
options		LIBICONV
options		MSGBUF_SIZE=40960

I didn't have INVARIANTS enabled, but added it now. I didn't see any
change, though. Do you want another log? ;)

CFLAGS has been set to "-O -pipe" all the time, by the way.

Thank you for your help so far,
Stefan