usb/76240: USB camera panics kernel

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 22 04:11:56 PST 2005

On 22/01/2005 08:44 Carsten Menke wrote:

> Exactly the same here, before I was running 5.3-RELEASE then at least as
> root it was possible to use the camera with digikam (I have exactly the same

That's interesting; even with the kernel patch I can't access the camera
when running digikam as root. If I go to Add Camera on the Camera menu
the dialogue appears and it will auto-detect my camera or I can select
it from the list, but the OK button is permanently diasabled so I can't
save the settings, which means that the camera never appears on the
Camera menu so I can't access it :-/

Do you have any idea why that is? It works fine as a non-root user.

Also, it only works if I select 'Canon Powershot A70 (PTP)'. If I select
the non-PTP entry (which is what it auto-detects as) when I try to
connect I get a message "Unable to connect to camera, check it is
plugged in....". I'm 99% sure it worked in non-PTP mode in earlier versions.

> model) and I also have OHCI. After updating yesterday to 5.3-STABLE it now is
> 100% reproducible as I'm now completley unable to use the camera as every
> attempt completley freezes the system (no panic though).

I bet it is panicing. Immediately (you have to be quick) after selecting
the camera from the Camera menu in digikam hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to
the console and you should see the panic message.

> the only thing I found in the logs is:
>
> Jan 18 08:41:57 chantal kernel: ugen0: detached
> Jan 18 09:34:21 chantal kernel: ugen0: Canon Inc. Canon Digital Camera, rev
> 1.10/0.01, addr 2
> Jan 18 09:34:58 chantal su: chantal to root on /dev/ttyp4
> Jan 18 09:34:58 chantal su: chantal to root on /dev/ttyp4
> Jan 18 09:41:35 chantal kernel: ugen0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
> Jan 18 09:42:35 chantal kernel: usb_detach_wait: ugen0 didn't detach
> Jan 18 09:43:35 chantal kernel: usb_detach_wait: ugen0 didn't detach
>

> I will try the patch, too. Hope it helps at least a bit.

If you also add the ruleset to /etc/rc.local, to allow non-root users to
access the camera, that I posted in the PR you should change the line

          /sbin/devfs rule add path ugen1* mode 666

to read ugen0* not ugen1* as your camera is on ugen0 as is mine - I just
pasted the lines from the URL I mentioned. I guess ugen* would work to
in case your camera does not always appear as ugen0.

Regards,

Mark

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0503-2, 21/01/2005
Tested on: 22/01/2005 12:10:45