Getting USB2 on FreeBSD 5.3?

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Sat Jan 8 15:11:00 PST 2005

Thanks for all the info!

At 2:25 PM -0800 1/8/05, Julian Elischer wrote:
>how do you tell they happen at USB1 speeds?

That was my assumption from the message about 1MB/sec transfers; as I
said later, I can see that I'm actually getting about 7MB/sec.

>>I can't tell why da0 is getting the slow (USB 1) mode. I also can't
>>figure out what the heck ohci2 is; there is only the on-board USB 1
>>ports (which I assume are ohci0 and ohci1) and the card (which is
>>clearly ehci0). Is ohci2 possibly also running on the add-in card
>>and stomping on ehci0?
>
>the EHCI spec says that an EHCI controller will also contain N USB1
>controllers (ohci OR uhci) to handle USB1 devices. the devices are switched
>to teh USB1 or USB 2 controller automatically by the hardware.

Thanks, I missed that.

>>I guess a related question is how can I tell what device umass0
>>thinks it is plugged into?
>
>You need to run usbdevs to see what is plugged in where.

Thanks, I missed that.

>>[[ I replied:
>>Actually, it helps some. I am seeing similar results (well, 7.1
>>MB/s), so this is a bit heartening. But it doesn't explain why we're
>>not seeing the 50 MB/s we're supposed to be seeing.
>>]]
>
>you may get more in -current.. I'e seen 25MB/sec

OK, a kinda-newbie question: given that this is a production machine,
can I grab just the ehci-related files from -current and
fairly-safely build them into the kernel? If so, how? What is the
correct list of files to use?

>50MB/sec is approachinghte theoretical maximum for bulk xfers
>and I doubt you'll see that in practice.

Fully understood. Even getting 15MB/sec would be a big improvement
for me, given that I'm using the device as a backup for very large
datasets.

--Paul Hoffman