Getting USB2 on FreeBSD 5.3?

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 13:47:37 PST 2005

> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <ST312002 6A 3.04> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers

I thought, USB1.1 can do 1.5Mbytes/sec and USB2 can do 480Mbit/sec
(I read it in advertisements for USB devices).

Why does da0 say, that it can do just 1MBytes/sec?

> [[ I replied:
> Actually, it helps some. I am seeing similar results (well, 7.1
> MB/s), so this is a bit heartening. But it doesn't explain why
> we're not seeing the 50 MB/s we're supposed to be seeing. ]]

480/8 is 60, isn't it? So we should see 60 MB/s, or is it just
marketing talk? I like it, when FreeBSD is nearly as fast as
possible (several years ago some FreeBSD NIC drivers were quite
efficient).

I am wondering, why my USB1.1 Cytronix SmartMedia card reader does
not more than 1MBytes/sec...

I just wanted to point out some little aspects of the problem...

-Arne