USB ports not working with 5.3-RELEASE or 5.3-STABLE

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 5 16:29:19 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 20:37 -0500, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> My USB devices are not being detected on my tower.  I'm running
> 5.3-STABLE and have the following in my /etc/rc.conf:
>

>         ________________________________________________________________
>         salamander# cat /etc/rc.conf
>         # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Mon Dec  6 13:36:23 2004
>         # Created: Mon Dec  6 13:36:23 2004
>         # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
>         # Please make all changes to this file, not
> to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>         # This file now contains just the overrides
> from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>         hostname="salamander.thesizemores.net"
>         ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
>         linux_enable="YES"
>         moused_enable="YES"
>         usbd_enable="YES"
>         sendmail_enable="YES"
>         sendmail_flags="-bd"
>         sendmail_pidfile="/var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid"
>         sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
>         sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
>         sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
>         devfs_system_ruleset="local_ruleset"
>         ________________________________________________________________
>
> and this in a /etc/devfs.rules file that I created per another post I
> saw on the forum:
>

>         ________________________________________________________________
>         [local_ruleset=10]
>         add path 'ugen*' mode 664
>         ________________________________________________________________
>

> The following lines appear in my /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file (this is
> out-of-the-box, I have not recompiled the kernel since initial install):
>

>         ________________________________________________________________
>         # USB support
>         device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
>         device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
>         device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
>         #device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
>         device          ugen            # Generic
>         device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
>         device          ukbd            # Keyboard
>         device          ulpt            # Printer
>         device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires
> scbus and da
>         device          ums             # Mouse
>         device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
>         device          uscanner        # Scanners
>
>         # SCSI peripherals
>         device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
>         device          ch              # SCSI media changers
>         device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
>         device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
>         device          cd              # CD
>         device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct
> SCSI access)
>         device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services
> (and SAF-TE)
>
>         ________________________________________________________________
>

> However, when I connect my camera via the USB connector (or via a
> [...]

Thanks for the offline offers of help that I've received.  I'm not sure
what changed, but I was troubleshooting with a LiveCD distro which
detected the ports and devices correctly.  I then copied
the /var/log/messages file from this and was going to post to the list,
but when I booted into FreeBSD again, the ports were miraculously
working!  Hmmm...don't know what happened, as I'd rebooted a few times
previous to this, but at least it's working now.

Thanks again.

--
Cheers,
Trey

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers
exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here,
it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something
even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."
-- Douglas Adams

11:25AM up 1 day, 16:34, 0 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.04, 0.01
FreeBSD salamander.thesizemores.net 5.3-STABLE i386