Palm/Zire Hot Syncing not working on 6.0

DW dwinner-lists at att.net
Tue Dec 27 13:13:32 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to get my Zire 31 to sync with my new 6.0 laptop, but am
having no success.

I learned the other day that 6.0 no longer uses /dev/ucom0, but instead
uses /dev/cuaU0

Ok, fine.

So I log on as root (I just want to get this workng for now -- I'll
worry about the devfs permissions later) and:

1. Attach my Zire 31 with USB cable

2. Hit the HotSync button on the Zire

    I see dmesg output:

           ucom0: PalmOne, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
           ucom0: PalmOne, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2

    Good, right? I'm pretty sure this is the exact same output I got on
5.2.1, 5.3 and 5.4 when attached.

3. So then I try:
    # pilot-xfer -p /dev/cuaU0 -l
    or
    # pilot-xfer -p /dev/cuaU0 -b ~/palmbkp
    or
    # ln -s /dev/cuaU0 /dev/pilot & pilot-xfer -b ~/palmbkp

    and all I get is:

        Listening to port: /dev/cuaU0

        Please press the HotSync button now...

    and that's it. Nothing. I already hit HotSync button to get ucom0 to
register, so now what?

If my memory serves me correct, on 5.2.1-5.4, I could "pilot-xfer"
without hitting HotSync button first, then hit HotSync when it was
ready. So I'm really confused now.

Is there something I am missing? Or is something broken?

Yes, I recompiled my kernel with uvisor and ucom, so I don't think
that's it. Should I take them out of kernel and use kldload instead? I
might try that while waiting for a reply.

Thanks in advance for any help,
DW