umass detected, but da is never created

Philip Lykke Carlsen plcplc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 03:53:08 PST 2005

I have this external harddisk kit, and when I plug it in, the system correctly
recognizes it as a umass.. but afterwards, the da device is never created..

this is what I get from the console:

umass0: vendor 0x05e3 USB TO IDE, rev 2.00/0.33, addr 2
umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT

Also, the very same thing but the timeouts are happening if I connect an Apple
iPod..

And for the record, I had this problem with both the generic and my custom
kernel.. both with umass,da,ses,pass compiled in..

Any ideas as for how to solve this?
Any guidelines and I'd gladly edit the files and submit a patch..