[Fwd: USB not working on 6.0-BETA2 on ICH7 [long]]

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Aug 20 10:20:03 GMT 2005

On Saturday 20 August 2005 09:21, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Resending to usb@ since that might be more appropriate.  Something else
> to add to this email is that when I build without ehci, by USB 2.0
> Cruzer SanDisk is not detected at all, even if it is inserted prior to
> boot.  If I insert this device into a machine with an ICH6 chipset, it
> works just fine, even in USB 1.x mode.
>
> Again, thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Joe

Hi,

It might be that the alignment for some of the EHCI hardware structures is
wrong. I haven't checked on FreeBSD-current, if this has been fixed, but I
guess that the "controller halted" is due to the "EHCI scheduler" getting off
the track.I have posted a PR on this and what needs to be changed:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=usb/79722

You can try changing this manually in "/sys/dev/usb/ehci.h", or install my USB
driver:

Download the three files below into a new directory and type
"make install"  (to uninstall type "make deinstall")
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/Makefile
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.diff.bz2
http://home.c2i.net/hselasky/isdn4bsd/privat/usb/new_usb_1_5_4.tar.bz2

After this you recompile the kernel or all usb modules in "/sys/modules/":

aue/Makefile
axe/Makefile
cdce/Makefile
cue/Makefile
if_ndis/Makefile
kue/Makefile
ndis/Makefile
netgraph/bluetooth/ubtbcmfw
netgraph/bluetooth/ubtbcmfw/Makefile
netgraph/bluetooth/ubt/Makefile
rue/Makefile
sound/driver/uaudio/Makefile
ubsa/Makefile
ubser/Makefile
ucom/Makefile
ucycom/Makefile
udav/Makefile
udbp/Makefile
ufm/Makefile
uftdi/Makefile
ugen/Makefile
uhid/Makefile
ukbd/Makefile
ulpt/Makefile
umass/Makefile
umct/Makefile
umodem/Makefile
ums/Makefile
uplcom/Makefile
ural/Makefile
urio/Makefile
usb/Makefile
uscanner/Makefile
uvisor/Makefile
uvscom/Makefile

NOTE: The module "slhci" will be broken if you install my USB driver, but I
don't think you need this module working, hence you have already got an
"EHCI" controller.

ee /sys/modules/slhci/Makefile

It might be that this module is not present on "FreeBSD 6". I am not sure, but
just in case it exits, just comment out everything in the Makefile, using
"#". That will prevent build world from failing.