Drivers in kernel of user space?

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Fri Aug 19 23:40:12 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karolis Tamutis" <karolis.t at gmail.com>
To: <freebsd-usb at freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 6:31 PM
Subject: Drivers in kernel of user space?

Should drivers for an usb device (or a series of devices) be developed
in kernel space or in user space, now that we have such cross platform
ported libraries as libusb? What's your opinion.

-------------------

Isn't there problems with libusb that make it a big compromize ?

For example, last I knew (admittedly several months ago) the reason my
canoscan lide scanner was so horrendously slow in linux was because it used
libusb and libusb didn't have a way to do the type of transfer the scanner
really needs. Something about async vs sync? I know in freebsd I have used
the same scanner both using the in-kernel /dev/uscanner0, and libusb. I
didn't do these things at the same time or on the same machine, nor had I
yet tried to do a high quality scan that exposed the slowness compared to
the same scan in windows. So I never tried a direct comparison of speeds
under the different drivers on the same hardware doing the same scan.
Been meaning to since the scanner happens to be on a freebsd box again and I
have uses for the scanner again.

Brian K. White  --  brian at aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro  BBx    Linux  SCO  FreeBSD    #callahans  Satriani  Filk!