usb/79436: Panic: ohci_abort_xfer: not in process context

Anthony Ginepro anthony.ginepro at laposte.net
Tue Apr 12 10:20:17 PDT 2005

The following reply was made to PR usb/79436; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Anthony Ginepro <anthony.ginepro at laposte.net>
To: Ian Dowse <iedowse at maths.tcd.ie>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: usb/79436: Panic: ohci_abort_xfer: not in process context
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:15:17 +0200

 Le Mardi 12 avril 2005 =C3=A0 01:54 +0100, Ian Dowse a =C3=A9crit :
 > In message <200504020537.j325buK8001163 at renaissance.homeip.net>, Anthony =
 Ginepr
 > o writes:
 > >When plugging T3 in craddle, the kernel panics in a few seconds after=20
 > >(due to some action in ppp), it either get caught in one of this panic s=
 trings
 > >:
 > >- ohci_abort_xfer: not in process context
 > >- page fault
 >=20
 > Hi,
 >=20
 > Would you be able to try the following patch to see if it helps?
 > I'm not sure if it will solve the problem with the OHCI controller,
 > as the ucom device is re-using a transfer from the completion
 > callback, which is not generally safe, and the OHCI controller
 > appears to handle this the worst.
 >=20
 > If it doesn't help, or just changes into a different panic,
 > you could try applying the patch from
 >=20
 > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~iedowse/releng_5_xfer_reuse.diff
 >=20
 > in addition to the patch below.
 >=20
 > Ian

 [ucom.c patch cut]

 Hi Ian,

 I tried ucom.c patch alone first however copying it from evolution broke
 it then having to go to work fast I patched both usbdi.c and ucom.c (got
 from mutt this time).

 Since then I don't have a panic anymore, I still have to retry palm
 synchronization.

 Do you need me retrying to only patch ucom.c ?

 Thanks again for your USB work,
 Anthony.