USB Ethernet (aue) panics on 4.10 (kern/69319)

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Thu Nov 25 16:17:54 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:08:15AM +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone else using USB Ethernet - particularly anything that uses the
> aue(4) driver - on FreeBSD 4.10, with or without success?  I have a
> reproducible panic when aue(4) devices are first brought up, ie. on the
> first ifconfig(8) of the device, with two different adapters on two
> different 4.10/4-STABLE systems.  See PR kern/69319 for more details:
>
> Anyone else seeing this or am I the only one using these devices on 4.10?

Well, I've had it confirmed by someone else that he's seeing the same
panics on 4.10 and that my patches make them go away.

I know the 'tsleep hack' is an inelegant band-aid fix, but it does have the
advantage of making these devices work, which IMHO has got to be better
than a panic.

I'm all in favour of fixing this properly, and I'm happy to work with
anybody with the necessary USB-fu who wants to take this on.  In the
meantime, are there any objections to me committing these changes so we can
at least have something that works, even if it's not perfect?

Cheers,

	Scott