USB Ethernet (aue) panics on 4.10 (kern/69319)

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Sun Nov 14 16:08:20 PST 2004

Hi all,

Is anyone else using USB Ethernet - particularly anything that uses the
aue(4) driver - on FreeBSD 4.10, with or without success?  I have a
reproducible panic when aue(4) devices are first brought up, ie. on the
first ifconfig(8) of the device, with two different adapters on two
different 4.10/4-STABLE systems.  See PR kern/69319 for more details:

Anyone else seeing this or am I the only one using these devices on 4.10?

I discussed this a bit with Julian and others a few weeks ago, until the
5.3 release got in the way.  It seems to be related to the removal of the
'tsleep hack' from the 4-STABLE USB code, although I don't know this stuff
well enough to say exactly why it's breaking.  Certainly restoring the
tsleep hack makes my aue(4) adapters work again.

The attached patch restores the tsleep hack and fixes a couple of other
problems I found while looking into this:
- Fix an mbuf leak when the [ackr]_start() function was called again before
  the previous mbuf had been freed.
- Fix ioctl handling to return EINVAL for commands that don't make sense
  for this device.  Otherwise ifconfig(8) prints a lot of irrelevant data,
  such as wireless settings.
With this patch in place both of my adapters work just fine.

I'm tempted to just commit this patch to get everything working again, but
I know people will be upset about the return of the tsleep hack.  It is a
hack, but one that we had in the tree for several years, so clearly not
causing anybody too much pain.  I'd love to find out what's really wrong
and fix it, but I have neither the USB know-how nor the free time to
acquire it right now.

So, any of the USB gurus out there who'd like to help me fix this?  I know
it's only 4.x, but it would be nice if we could retire it in a working
state... :-)

Cheers,

	Scott