kern/63621: [usb] USB MemoryStick Reader stalls/crashes system

Herve Quiroz herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr
Tue Nov 9 15:30:40 PST 2004

The following reply was made to PR kern/63621; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz at esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org, marck at rinet.ru
Subject: Re: kern/63621: [usb] USB MemoryStick Reader stalls/crashes system
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:26:31 +0100

 Hum, after some more testing (well, unexpected crashes actually) it
 seems like the cat(1) trick is not necessarily the true workaround.
 Sometimes, even this trick fails to have subsequent read accesses
 working.

 But maybe it's just a matter of un-mounting and re-mouting the
 filesystem... Indeed, I need to perform some more tests but I've been
 doing this with 100% succes so far:

 1. mount
 2. cat file.txt
 3. un-mount
 4. re-mount
 5. do whatever I want, even subversion operations

 Actually, I still pray each time I do a simple svn update. But
 statistically, this gives me the best results.

 Dmitry, could you try this method to confirm?

 BTW, I've just upgraded to 5.3-RELEASE last night so we'll see in a
 short while if the problem is still relevant with this version.

 Herve