5.3-RC2 installation panic [Was: kern/60602: [usb] Dynamic attach UBS device can cause 5.2-RC system malfunction

Jin Guojun [VFFS] jin at george.lbl.gov
Thu Nov 4 15:18:19 PST 2004

Mark Linimon wrote:

>Synopsis: [usb] Dynamic attach UBS device can cause 5.2-RC system malfunction
>
>State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
>State-Changed-By: linimon
>State-Changed-When: Thu Nov 4 06:49:13 GMT 2004
>State-Changed-Why:
>Reassign to appropriate mailing list.
>

>Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->freebsd-usb
>Responsible-Changed-By: linimon
>Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Nov 4 06:49:13 GMT 2004
>Responsible-Changed-Why:
>Does this problem still recur with, e.g., 5.3-RC1?
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=60602

Before I can answer it, we need to resolve the installation problem
for this platform with 5.3-RC2. The current installation is panic at
MADT start up.
I tried a few times, but got the same problem.
Following is the console output during this installation boot up:

avail memory = 511500288 (487 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: < ASUS P2B-DS  >
ACPI disabled by blacklist. Contact your BIOS vendor.
MADT: ACPI Startup failed with AE_ERROR
Try disabling either ACPI or apic support.
panic: Using MADT but ACPI doesn't work

Would any one please provide a solution or suggestion on how to
make 5.3-RC2 installation proceed on this host ?
    ASUS P2B-DS dual Pentium-III 450 MHz

I looked at BIOS, but did not find anything that can disable APIC.

--
------------ Jin Guojun ----------- v --- jin at george.lbl.gov ---
Distributed Systems Department		http://www.dsd.lbl.gov/~jin