ukbd & Console Scrollback

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Dec 31 17:26:47 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 01:24:12AM -0800, Max Campos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Apple Pro USB Keyboard, but for the life of me I cannot get
> the system console scrollback to work (ie. scroll lock, then pgup/pg
> down).    I'm running CURRENT, though I also had this problem under
> 5.3-p2.
>
> The Apple Pro Keyboard has no Scroll-lock key (instead it has
> F13/F14/F15 where SysRq/Scrl Lock/Pause would be), but I looked online
> and I _believe_ the F14 key has the same scancode as scroll lock.

Nope.  Several of the hits on the first page of results for "apple pro
keyboard scroll lock" say it's sending something else.

> A few questions:
>
> 1) Does this work for anyone?  (ie. is this a problem with all USB
> keyboards?)

It works fine with my Logitech iTouch keyboard.

> 2) Is there a way to find out what scan code is being emitted when I
> hit a certain key?

You can open the device and read from it to see what they keyboard is
sending.  You might also see what xev has to say.

> 3) If (1) isn't the case, any idea how to get this working?  I suppose
> I could create a layout that redefines scroll lock to a different key,
> or correct the keymap if the F14 scancode != scrl lock.   What fun.

Sounds like you'll need an alternate keymap.  If you can figure out what
the heck it actually does, there's a windoes registry hack floating
around that should tell you what you need to know.  One annoyance here
is that you'll have to modify the keymap you would be useing since
there's no way to overwrite part of the existing map.

-- Brooks