USB vendore designations..

Barry Bouwsma freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk
Wed Dec 29 12:23:38 PST 2004

[Lennart, your messages are appearing on the FreeBSD list with several
 days delay, if you didn't know -- but thanks for joining in.]

> [[ NetBSD uses the form Foo and FreeBSD uses Foo Inc or Foo Electric ]]
> : I would nnot consider the expanded definitions as
> : progress.  I would not apply the patch.  I'm of the
> : old school that thinks that even a few kB are worth
> : saving. :)

> I agree.  In fact, I'm in the process of merging together the FreeBSD
> and NetBSD usbdevs and one of the things I'm doing is removing the
> extranious Inc, Electric, Technologies, etc where FreeBSD and NetBSD
> conflict.

Are there several of us working to the same goal :-) ?

Thanks to the responses of all, I'm also going for the shorter-
is-better school, and my work-so-far is available from
https://NOSPAM.dyndns.dk/hacks/usbdevs/
(sort by date for latest updates)

The files there have been first built with NetBSD-current-GENERIC,
then with FreeBSD RELENG_4 LINT.  For the latter (taken from my NetBSD
work), a few source file changes have been needed (SONYERICSSON -> SUSTEEN
and the like) which I should also make available, and I'm building
world as I write this.  For -current FreeBSD, I'll start a crossbuild
in a few days when my 4.x build finishes (slow machine, hey), then
update my files.  DragonFly should be comparable to FreeBSD at the
moment, but don't take my word for it.  Your machines are faster than
mine, promise.

I'll probably make a tarball of all my FreeBSD RELENG_4 hacks
available so it doesn't get lost.  Real Soon Now.  Pick and choose
what's useful.  I'm not ready to give up on FBSD 4.x yet.

This does not include any additions from OpenBSD yet.  As it is
a work-in-progress, expect changes.

> In fact, I've thought about doing the same thing to the NetBSD file
> where it is inconsistant, but so far haven't asked if that's OK.  I'd

See message <Pine.NEB.4.61.0412231224000.209 at localhost>
in netbsd tech-kern a few days ago (also available at
http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/tech-kern/2004/12/23/0008.html )
for one developer's input into this.  I believe you're safe,
particularly after learning the reasons.  Shorter is mostly
better, in this case.

> also thought about merging the FreeBSD vendor/devices into NetBSD,
> but that's a lot of extra bytes into the table...

Not too many, compared with what's missing from D/FBSD, and as it's
used in NetBSD for devices without a driver, probably worth the bytes.

Those merges should mostly be in my NetBSD usbdevs at the above
URL.  (That one builds, unlike the previous one I announced to the
netbsd-current list.  Oops.)

On a completely different matter, unrelated to USB, but related
to merging, since some of my code hacks to 4.x involve changes
to miidevs, I tried merging in NetBSD's additions as well.
Can I assume it's a laudable goal to try to keep text *devs
databases consistent between the BSDen?

(There seem to be code differences that correct for some MII
quirks present in NetBSD but not FBSD, or vice versa, so the
merged file isn't as nice, but it was a nice idea, I thought)

thanks
barry bouwmsa