umass.c for stable-4.x

Barry Bouwsma freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk
Mon Dec 27 19:13:53 PST 2004

Salut,

I just wanted to mention that I've tried the latest 4.x umass.c and
it has problems for me, so I've taken the latest -current umass.c
and hacked it to work with my 4.x, and added a few fixes and stuff.

If anyone wants to try it out, since I don't know how much it relies
on hacks I have elsewhere in my 4.x source, feel free to try it from
https://NOSPAM.dyndns.dk/hacks/usb/
It probably won't work as-is for you; at least a couple things are
products added to
https://NOSPAM.dyndns.dk/hacks/usbdevs/usbdevs-in-progress-for-freebsd-4.x
(that is probably broken for a whole kernel build so far)  Other
problems may exist as well, and I'd like to hear of them on clean 4.x
systems.

This is also a candidate for a few things which can be added to -current
to help out a couple devices I have.  I'll see about diffs for this as
I look into merging NetBSD enhancements.

The problems I had with unadulterated 4.x included:  only saw one slot
of a multi-all-in-one-cardreader device, and detaching a device was
highly likely to cause instant panic.  Also, a couple fixes are in
here for improved operation of some devices I have.  I've been running
-current-based umass.c on my 4.x for months now with no real problems.

enjoy
barry bouwsma