(regression) Lost USB support between 5.2.1-RELEASE and 5.3-RELEASE on K7T266 Pro2.

Julien Gabel jpeg at thilelli.net
Sun Dec 12 08:06:04 PST 2004

>Submitter-Id:	current-users
>Originator:	Julien Gabel
>Confidential:	no
>Synopsis:	(regression) Lost USB support between 5.2.1-RELEASE and 5.3-RELEASE on K7T266 Pro2.
>Severity:	non-critical
>Priority:	low
>Category:	kern
>Class:		sw-bug
>Release:	FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE i386
>Environment:
System:		FreeBSD titeuf.thilelli.net 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Fri Dec 10 12:52:14 CET 2004 root at titeuf.thilelli.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TITEUF i386
* The motherboard is a MSI K7T266 Pro2: up to 6 USB 1.1 ports.

As a side note, i previously posted about this problem on current@ during
the release cycle of 5.3-RELEASE, but focusing on using a USB thumbdrive
at this time. I realize later that it seems to be a general USB support
problem, not just a relative one to the pendrive i use at this time.
  http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-October/039444.html

After trying the BETAs ans RCs just before the release of FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE,
i discovered that i can't use any USB ports on one of my systems (i did not
encountered this problem on my notebook for example).

Before that, i had use USB on this machine without problem running RELENG_5_2
(5.2.1-RELEASE-p11 at this time): i can use, without any problem, a 64MB USB
thumbdrive, a USB mini notebook mouse and my Palm m500.

But since this host follow the RELENG_5 branch for now, it seems impossible to
have the USB subsystem working properly.

So this *new* problem appears only on one of my machine and seems to be related
to the motherboard i use: the K7T266 Pro2.

As a side note, i previously posted about this problem on current@ during
the release cycle of 5.3-RELEASE, but focusing on using a USB thumbdrive
at this time. I realize later that it seems to be a general USB support
problem, not just a relative one to the pendrive i use at this time.
  http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-October/039444.html

* Please, find the following files attached to this PR:
    - the output of 'pciconf -lv';
    - the content of /var/run/dmesg.boot.

--
-jpeg.