lexar usb media failure to attach

Barry Bouwsma freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk
Mon Dec 6 05:45:39 PST 2004

> > At 04:41 PM 05/12/2004, Dan Langille wrote:
> > >I purchased a USB memory device last week.   It looks like it won't
> > >work with FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #1: Sun Jul 25 00:53:29 EDT 2004
> > >Nov 30 22:03:05 laptop /kernel: umass0: LEXAR MEDIA JUMPDRIVE ELITE, rev

> Can anyone recommend a USB thumb drive that they know works with
> FreeBSD 4.10 and 5.*?  I'll return this one ASAP.

I hope I don't sound like an advocate or anything, but is there a
chance that you can try this with, say, NetBSD?  I've attached a
good number of devices to my FreeBSD systems that have required me
to patch under the hood, that when attached to a recent NetBSD, have
Just Worked.

As the FreeBSD USB code is largely taken from NetBSD, but has over
time lagged somewhat behind, doing something like this can help you
determine if it should be relatively easy to fix FreeBSD.  Also, I've
noticed that I experience problems that are very dependent on the
particular combination of hardware (like controllers) I use, so the
more juggling you can do, the better.

Also, a handy thing you can do, if you don't already, is to build
your USB support as kernel modules, and then try out modules built
from more recent source if there have been recent commits, or try
building modules with code adapted from -current or even NetBSD to
see if that can solve the problem.  My present kernel was built on
08.Jun and I have no problems with more recent usb.ko and umass.ko
modules.  You can build individual modules in your source tree by
`cd /path-to-src/src/sys/modules/usb && make -m /path-to-src/src/share/mk'
replacing modules/usb with modules/umass or whatever you want to build
(which writes in your source tree; I use unionfs to write these into
a source-hacks tree atop my virginal source tree) -- a timesaver on
my slow system that may help you if you feel like experimenting.

Just a few hints, that I hope could be helpful, if not for you, then
hopefully for someone reading this sometime...

thanks
barry bouwmsa
(drop me from replies and I'll catch up from the list)