[CALL FOR TESTERS] if_axe on 4.x

Scott Mitchell rsm at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 5 09:02:44 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 08:46:20AM +0100, Barry Bouwsma wrote:

> Not quite diffs yet, but I cleaned up most of the foolishness and
> my ignorance from the previous hacks, and based on yesterday morning's
> current, made a cleaner if_axe.c file that can be found as
> https://nospam.dyndns.dk/hacks/if_axe.c-clean-against-latest-current
> (should also be available without SSL -- except when I'm panicking
> my machine or running single-user, so try later)
>
> The reason my #if's are as ugly as they are in this, is that I'm
> special-casing FreeBSD4 here, leaving open the possibility to merge
> in DragonFly, NetBSD, and OpenBSD code in the future for the fun of
> it.

Hi Barry (and anyone else with hardware supported by if_axe),

The attached diff should apply cleanly against 4.10 or any recent 4-STABLE
sources.  Something like this ought to do it:

# cd /usr/src
# patch < /path/to/axe.diff

This should give you if_axe.c, if_axereg.h and all the necessary glue to
build a kernel/module with if_axe in it.  GENERIC will include if_axe by
default.

I've done a GENERIC buildkernel and loaded/unloaded the resulting if_axe.ko
with no problems, but I have no hardware to verify that it actually
works... if you do have such hardware please give this patch a try and let
me know how it works out.  I want to get this in before the 4.11 code
freeze starts on Dec. 13th.  Supposedly the driver will work with any of
these devices and anything else build around an ASIX AX88172:
	LinkSys USB200M
	D-Link DUB-E100
	Melco LUAU2-KTX
	NetGear FA120
	SystemTalks SGC-X2UL
	Sitecom LN029

Barry, this is pretty much your patch with the #ifs stripped out or
reversed, purely to reduce the size of the diff against -CURRENT.  I don't
think I've changed any behaviour.  If you need something to drop into your
existing tree, without all the glue code, just grab:
	http://people.freebsd.org/~rsm/if_axe.c
and	http://people.freebsd.org/~rsm/if_axereg.h
Many thanks again for taking the time to get this working.

Cheers,

	Scott