about a usb adsl modem driver

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Thu Dec 2 10:55:37 PST 2004

El Jueves, 2 de Diciembre de 2004 18:38, Michel TALON escribió:
> > I've got a eagle usb adsl modem and get ready to work on FreeBSD
> > support for it.
> > [...]
>
> The reference i gave
>
> http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ueagle/download.html
>
> has a working driver for the ueagle modem, which works on FreeBSD-4
> FreeBSD-5, NetBSD and OpenBSD, and even DragonFlyBSD. What do you
> want more? Yes, it does pppoa or ipoa but this is providing maximal
> throughput, since no ethernet encapsulation is necessary. Moreover
> Damien has a pppoe or ipoa driver, it is ueagle-2.0, the only problem
> being it is unsupported.
>
> By the way i am using this driver day and night on a very bad and
> noisy line, so when i say it works, it really works. By comparison,
> the Linux driver is crap, and moreover is written as crap.

well, but:

- It needs atm, so can't work with GENERIC
- Its 1.5 version doesn't support FreeBSD 4
- From 2.0/1.4 it's more and more eagle chipset specific.

I think that another alternative, using sppp/netgraph can't hurt. Also,
most of this work can be used with alcatel and other brands chipsets.

I also use the 1.5 driver on RELENG_5_3 in pppoa with very good
 results.

--
  josemi