BSD archive file formats

pete petechou at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 11:36:32 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I'm working on archive file format support in MCLinker project.

GNU variant archive format is supported in MCLinker now. And from FreeBSD
man pages, I can find there are some differences between BSD and GNU
variants. However, when I try to check BSD variant on freebsd9 (i386), I
can only find GNU variant archive files. And if using "ar" to make an
archive file on freebsd9, I still get a GNU variant one.

So, I would like to ask if BSD variant supported/existing in BSD system. Or
I missed something in configuring or others?

I'm new to BSD. Any information will be helpful!

Thanks,
Pete