-fstack-protector vs. -fstack-protector-all

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 19 11:47:05 UTC 2011

On 2011-11-18 15:37, Alexander Best wrote:
> what are the reasons for using -fstack-protector instead of
> -fstack-protector-all in sys/conf/kern.mk?

My guess would be one or more of the following:

- The price in performance is too high
- The gain in security is too low
- Some routines in the kernel are run before the whole stack protection
  infrastructure is in place, ergo they can't have stack protection
- There might be other problems with -fstack-protector-all,
  lib/libc/Makefile says:

  # XXX For now, we don't allow libc to be compiled with
  # -fstack-protector-all because it breaks rtld.  We may want to make a librtld
  # in the future to circumvent this.
  SSP_CFLAGS:=	${SSP_CFLAGS:S/^-fstack-protector-all$/-fstack-protector/}