libthr shared locks

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 16:45:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:27:12PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2016, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 03:39:18PM -0600, Eric van Gyzen wrote:
> >> My only comment on kern_umtx.c is, why are the permission checks compiled out?
> >
> > Assume that we changed the ABI of libthr and shared locks do not require
> > an offpage.
>
> How are you coming with that?  I thought maybe you were going to think
> about making the synch types structs, but not actually changing the
> implementation (yet).

Are you asking what is the state of the work for changing the libthr
ABI by replacing object pointers with inline structures, am I reading
the question right ? (Sorry, english is not my native language)

I do plan to introduce inlined objects (most likely in the form of
libthr2 initially, i.e. cc -D_LIBTHR2 -o file file.c -lthr2). But my
plans are to get the existing patch for pshared into the tree for 11.0.
After that I wanted to implement robust mutexes, still in the context of
the libthr. Then libthr2.

Finishing the current patch for 11.0 is the immediate goal, while I did
not forget neither abandoned the inline alternative and do plan to work
on it.