Trying to set PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM

'Chris Hall' chris.hall.list at highwayman.com
Mon Apr 30 08:15:59 UTC 2012

Julian Elischer wrote (on Sun 29-Apr-2012 at 07:49 +0100):
> AS far as I know the default is PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM now.
> we no longer support PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS as far as I know.
> (I may be confused of course.. it wouldn't be the first time).

Ah.  Well, that certainly finesses all the issues.

> We used to have the ability to switch but the complexity was not
> worth the added benefit.

Not surprised.  Particularly as it all seems so badly defined :-(

For my application I would be happy to have a mechanism to give some
higher priority to the I/O driven threads, and to lower the priority
of the garbage collector and scanning threads.  The higher priority
stuff ought to be system scope, the lower could be process scope.  The
POSIX defined stuff almost but not quite provides that, but is so full
of implementation-defined and not defined at all, that it seems quite
useless to me.

Thanks,

Chris