PTHREAD_CANCEL_DEFERRED

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 08:38:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 06:41:08AM +0800, David Xu wrote:
> Kostik Belousov wrote:

> >>I have worked out a patch:
> >>http://people.freebsd.org/~davidxu/patch/thread_cancel.patch
> >>

> >Ok, the patch is definitely better then my proposal. But it has several
> >details that seems to need correction.
> >
> >First, if TDP_WAKEUP-marked thread receives any non-cancellation signal,
> >then a syscall returns with EINTR. This breaks SA_RESTART.
> >

> I don't think it breaks SA_RESTART,  there are reasons this is allowed:
I think I need to be more verbose. What I am saying is that if the
posted signal is not SIGCANCEL, then the sleepq_catch_signal() change
does two things wrong, IMO:
1. it will return EINTR while the signal marked as SA_RESTART interrupted
   restartable syscall.
2. TDP_WAKEUP should not be cleared for this case, since we should
   still be prepared for special handling of SIGCANCEL, if it arrives.
In other words, I propose to clear TDP_WAKEUP only when the posted
signal is SIGCANCEL.