pthread_cleanup_push & pthread_cleanup_pop usage

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 8 19:53:25 UTC 2008

* John Hein <jhein at timing.com> [081008 12:48] wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote at 14:09 -0400 on Oct  8, 2008:
>  > Don't Do That (tm).  The spec explicitly states that they can be defined as
>  > macros and that code using it needs to put them in the same block.
>
> Thanks for the responses.  I like deischen's response best to work
> around the problem short term, but I suspect that's not very portable.
> And as jhb describes using it outside the same block violates the
> spirit of intended use.
>
> Note that the example I gave (pop off the cleanup stack in a catch
> block) is not our only "violation".  We also push in one function and
> either never [explicitly] pop or possibly pop in another function.
>
> So that leaves me wondering about possible techniques for cleanup on
> thread cancellation or exit.  Alfred touched on one method, and I see
> that pthread_key_create takes an optional destructor, so that sounds
> like a possible avenue to explore.

I'm positive that you'll have a solution given my starting point
within a few hours. :)

All the cpp_cleanup_push() needs to do is to:

  pthread_once() -> set up the pthread_key and destructor as you said.
  then pthread_getspecific to get the stack
    if no stack, make one and set it.
  then push your cleanup function.

good luck,
--