cvs commit: src/include pthread_np.h src/lib/libthr pthread.map src/lib/libthr/thread thr_mutex.c

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Mon Feb 4 03:15:04 PST 2008

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>   Log:
>   Add pthread_mutex_islocked_np(), a cheap way to verify that a mutex is
>   locked.  This is intended primarily to support the userland equivalent
>   of the various *_ASSERT_LOCKED() macros we have in the kernel.

I'm having second thoughts about this one.  There is a significant risk
of false positives if the mutex is currently locked by another thread.
I'm wondering whether to a) change the implementation so it only returns
true if the mutex is owned by the current thread, or b) change the
interface so you can specify a specific thread, or NULL for "any".

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no