SIGINFO and pthreads

Maxim Konovalov maxim at macomnet.ru
Thu Jun 8 06:25:16 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, 19:06-0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a program, which updates the user with its status upon
> receiving a SIGINFO (like dump, cp, dd, and fsck do). The exact same
> handler is installed for SIGUSR1 (TclX does not know about SIGINFO
> and I needed to a Tcl script to interact with the program too).
>
> When I made the program multi-threaded, it stopped reacting to the
> SIGINFO. It still reacts to the SIGUSR1, but completele ignores
> SIGINFO now...
>
> If I disable the multi-threading, SIGINFO is processed again...
>
> What's special about SIGINFO and pthreads? Thanks!

libpthread uses SIGINFO for dumping thread information to a file but
looking over the code it seems it does allow to use SIGINFO to the
app.  Are you sure your signal handling is correct?  Signal handling
in pthreads programs is tricky, e.g. all threads share signal actions
but each thread has a separate signal mask.

--
Maxim Konovalov