debug defines in libc_r on 6.0

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Oct 11 16:36:51 PDT 2005

вівторок 11 жовтень 2005 19:00, Daniel Eischen Ви написали:
> No, it's only a couple of instructions for a very few operations.
> I've already replied to you about these before.  I don't care
> whether re@ turns them off or not, but go read my prior email
> on this topic.  I should eliminate the #defines and always do
> the checks, so you wouldn't notice :(

We make such checks (however inexpensive) conditional on various DEBUG* and
INVARIANTS* flags in the kernel and userspace should be no different. The
whole idea of assert() is to provide a way to add debugging checks, which --
however cheap they are -- can be easily removed from a _release_ version of
one's software.

I remember your e-mail and continue to disagree with it -- the debugging
information and checks are, understandably, precious to you, but if we lose,
say, a MySQL benchmark by even a small percentage, the advocacy loss will be
immense...

IMHO, the flags should be removed in RELENG_6, or, at least, in RELENG_6_0.

Respectfully,

	-mi