threads/84778: libpthread busy loop/hang with Java when handling signals and Runtime.exec

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 6 16:20:21 PDT 2005

The following reply was made to PR threads/84778; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen at freebsd.org>
To: freebsd at spatula.net
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: threads/84778: libpthread busy loop/hang with Java when handling
 signals and Runtime.exec
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:11:38 -0400 (EDT)

 On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 freebsd at spatula.net wrote:

 > Some of us do not have the luxury of running -current and an alpha-quality
 > port on production servers.
 >
 > This is a legitimate bug affecting jdk 1.4 on freebsd-stable, even if it
 > does belong in -java and not -threads.
 >
 > Would it not be better to actually find the cause of the problem and make
 > sure a fix got committed back to the stable branch/port for the majority
 > of FreeBSD Java users?

 I didn't close the bug (if it is a bug).  I only have time and resources
 to track and run -current.  And since it works on -current, and the
 thread libraries are the same between -current and -stable, I can only
 assume there is nothing to backport anyways, at least with regard to
 libpthread (the library).  Obviously the kernels vary somewhat.

 --
 DE