thread aware malloc

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Apr 13 21:01:12 PDT 2005

Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2005 at 7:13, David Xu wrote:
>

>>>I've already ported ptmalloc2 to FreeBSD. The performance increase is
>>>steller to put it mildly, even with FreeBSD's poor multithreading
>>>performance. You're talking ten or more times faster in heavily
>>>multithreaded code :)
>>
>>Poor multithreading performance? I don't know what library you are
>>talking about. I admit that malloc/free is the main bottleneck in
>>userland, a SMP-aware and CPU locality allocator is welcome.
>

> KSE threads, FreeBSD v5.3. It's a mixture of process and system
> threads. As I mentioned in a previous post, it's eight times slower
> than Linux. See http://www.nedprod.com/Tn/ (scroll down to the
> screenshots).

did you compile the FreeBSD kernel with the required changes for running
under vmware?

Vmware REALLY SUCKS when it comes to emulating the exact instructions we use for
kernel locks and mutexes.
You'd get maybe an order of magnitude difference through this
under some situations.

I forget the exact options but they'll be in the list archives.
also make sure it's a Uniprocessor kernel.